I’ve whipped up a fresh batch of heart-shaped hand pies oozing with E.D.SMITH’s Blueberry Pie Filling and gooey Brie.
When I got the idea to make these heart-shaped hand pies, I didn’t just want any regular pie filling. I wanted the best – which is why I included E.D.SMITH’s Pie Filling. They date back to 1882 (that means they’re celebrating their 135th anniversary this year!) and they’re the #1 pie filling in Canada (also very important) so I knew my pies would be delicious. And let’s be honest, what makes a pie is the filling. I also wanted a salty feature to my pies, so including a Canadian Brie cheese was the perfect addition. The two ingredients complement each other making it sweet and salty. It’s a simple addition that transforms your dessert into something different and delicious.
To make your pies, you can either stick with your favourite dough or you can fast-forward right to the store-bought stuff so you can get those pies in the oven and in your belly faster. To start, turn your oven on at 400 F degrees with the racks placed in the centre of the oven.
After leaving your dough on the counter for about 15 minutes, you’re ready to roll with it! Spread a little bit of flour on a flat surface, take a rolling pin and roll your dough out until it’s even (about 1/9-inch thick).
Take your cookie cutter (whatever shape you have on hand – if you don’t have one, you can use the rim of a mason jar) and press your cutter into the dough. Pull the scraps away, roll out the dough again and repeat.
Place the bottom of the pies on a sprayed parchment paper over two pans.
For your Brie, just pick up your favourite cheese from your local grocer and cut them into 1/2-inch thick cubes.
Now for the best part, add half a spoon full of your E.D.SMITH Blueberry Pie Filling in the centre of each hand pie. Place the cubes of Brie on top.
Get your egg wash ready for sealing those hand pies. Take one egg and one tbsp. of cold water and whisk together. Outline your hand pies with the egg wash lightly. Start to gently place the tops over the base of your pies. Then take a fork, and gently press down around your pies so there are no pockets and both the top and bottom are joined.
After all your pies are neatly joined, cut two slits into the tops of each pie so the air can let out. Pop them in the oven for about 12 – 14 minutes, or until the tops are a nice golden brown.
Remove and let cool for about 10 minutes and then you have the cutest heart shaped hand pies. Either share with friends or eat them all by yourself – there’s no judging here!
Recipe calls for 12
- Dough (store bought or your own favourite dough recipe will work)1 can of E.D.SMITH Blueberry Pie Filling
- 1 round of Brie cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp. ice water
- Flour for sprinkling
- Set oven to 400 F degrees
- Place parchment paper on two pans and spray with non-stick oil
- Roll dough out to ½ -inch thick
- Place cookie cutter and press down on dough (take scraps, roll out dough and repeat)
- Place your pie bottoms on the pans
- Spoon ½ tbsp. of E.D.SMITH Blueberry Pie Filling on each pie bottom
- Cut Brie cheese in ½-inch cubes and place on top of pie filling
- Mix your egg and ice water together to make the egg wash. Lightly dab the egg wash around the edges of your dough
- Place the tops on the base of your dough and press down with fork all the way around to seal the pies
- Gently brush the tops of the pies with egg wash
- Cut two slits in the middle of each of the pies
- Place in the oven and bake for 12 – 14 minutes or until golden brown
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes
If you’re feeling inspired to try something new in your kitchen, I highly recommend visiting edsmith.com and seeing what other great products and recipes they have to get you baking!